Where to Re-Charge in Port Macquarie
- Written by Gabrielle Brewer
What's that sound, a wallaby or a waterfall? For a place to re-charge and connect with nature Greater Port Macquarie has some hidden gems in the Wauchope hinterland and along the quiet waterways of the Camden Haven.
The region is renowned for its vibrant town centre, hotels and apartments, but there are a range of hidden gems for couples and families that need a quiet escape. A few of these are new so get in quick before word gets out!
Stay on a sprawling sheep dairy at Ewetopia Farm, sleep in a luxury tree-house by the river at Diamond Waters, or get creative by the ocean at Camden Head Pilot Station.
- Ewetopia Farm - experience country life in a new three-bedroom self-contained cottage perched on the top of a hill with amazing valley views. Located on a sheep dairy with its own new cheese-making facility, guests can buy and taste ewe and dairy cheeses and yoghurts, collect the eggs and feed the animals. www.ewetopiafarm.com.au
- Gypsy Falls - two romantic cottages are nestled in a 20-acre forest with nothing but the sound of a huge waterfall and wildlife to wake you. A nature lover's paradise guests can take bush-walks, a dip in the swimming pool, snuggle by the log fire and cook a BBQ dinner on the verandah. www.gypsyfalls.com.au
- Telegraph Retreat - sink into your bubbling outdoor hot spa and hear the sounds of the Australian bush from a beautiful self-contained cottage. There's no reason to leave with home-cooked dinners, a massage therapist and breakfast hampers all brought to you on request. Kids will love the hobby farm where they can feed the ducks and collect the eggs. www.telegraphretreat.com.au
- Blue Poles – couples can enjoy a gorgeous 'tree-top' style studio with a renowned café restaurant and one of the region's best art galleries on site. It is surrounded by rainforest with sublime views of the lush Quintoc Range and Thone River Valley. Blue Poles is the heart and soul of Byabarra, a quaint village 35mins inland from Port Macquarie past Wauchope. www.bluepoles.com.au
- The Hideout at Dexfield Park – a newly built two bedroom self-contained house has a huge timber deck where you can watch the sun-set after fishing in the Hastings River that runs through the property. It is set on 33 acres with lots of wildlife and close to Wauchope's blackbutt forests. www.dexfieldpark.com
- Diamond Waters Treehouse Retreat -set on the Camden Haven River, two hand-crafted luxury treehousesare perfect for couples who want to laze on the shady deck and walk to the beach to catch mud-crabs for dinner. There are tropical gardens to explore, a kitchen garden to pick from and coffee bar. www.diamondwaters.com.au
- Camden Head Pilot Station - it's all about the location for this heritage listed property which occupies a magnificent Crown Land beachfront site overlooking Pilot and Wash House Beaches, the Camden Haven River Inlet, and adjoining Kattang Nature Reserve. Artists, writers, or any-one seeking a creative space, can hire the 1950's three-bedroom cottage with a converted boatshed studio. www.camdenheadpilotstation.org.au
Port Macquarie is on the Mid North Coast of NSW, four hours' drive from Sydney.